The Morton Family Blog

Thanks for taking time and stopping by and reading our family blog. As a family of 6 we are busy and hope to encourge everyone to understand that everyone is different in his or her own way and that people shouldn't be looked at for their size but for their selves. Our youngest daughter Jalinn was born with dwarfism and we hope to raise awareness for the Little People community.







Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October is Dwarfism Awareness Month

I can't believe it that October is already here.  I have been working on our LPA Fall Regional that will be taking place the weekend of October 14th.  I can't wait to meet everyone and have a great time.

I have also been working with the Missouri Governor's office to make Missouri declared Dwarfism Awareness in October and I am happy to say that it has passed the legislation. 


I thought I would share some facts about dwarfism for you:

  • There are over 200 distinct forms of dwarfism and skeletal dysplasias.
  • People with dwarfism are generally not taller than 4' 10" at adult height. The typical height range is 2'8" to 4'5".
  • Eighty percent of people with dwarfism have average-height parents and siblings.
  • There are an estimated 30,000 people in the United States and 651,000 internationally with a type of dwarfism.
  • In July 2009 the word "midget" was declared inappropriate and offensive. Preferable terms are: having dwarfism, short stature, little person, lp, and the medical terminology use of dwarf. A person's name is always the most preferred.
  • Skeletal Dysplasias affect bone growth, but generally do not affect cognitive abilities.
  • Don't treat people with dwarfism according to their height, instead of their age or ability. Little people are attorneys, teachers, engineers and doctors.

 


We are so lucky to be Jalinn's parents and to have her in our lives.  She is the BEST little girl ever!!!  Her smile can lighten up any mood you are in.  She is such a joy to be around.   

  
I have always said that if it was not for Jalinn I would have not meet some of the best people.  I am so lucky to have the LP and POLP family in our lives.  With the medical concerns that we have had for Jalinn in the past 21 months our LP and POLP family have always helped me through it.  I can't thank each of you enough for your support and love.  You will always be in my heart!!! 





 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Yayyyyyy! For dwarfism awareness month! Jalinn is so beautiful! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete